Your Balanced Life!

Friday, January 04, 2008

Keeping your resolutions alive


Happy New Year! I hope that 2008 has started off wonderfully for all readers!


The new year is often a time when intentions and resolutions are set. Prehaps you may have set a resolution about getting more fit, spending more time with your family, finding better work-life balance or even writing a book.


Unfortunately, every year a vast number of resoutions fall by the wayside, only to be put on next year's list.


How are your resolutions coming? Ask yourself the following:

1. On a scale of 1-10 how am I doing with the resolutions I set?

2. What action can I take today to move forward towards my goal?

3. If I've fallen off track, what small action step can I take to get me back on track?

4. How important are all of the resolutions I set? Which ones are most important for me?
Often we set a huge list of resolutions which realisticaly we can't meet. Be gentle with yourself and consider what it would be like to pare your list of 10 or 20 down to the most important 1, 2, or 3. How does that feel?

5. How will I know when I am making progress towards my resolutions? What milestones have I set for myself?
If you haven't set regular milestones where you can chart your progress, do this is now. For many resolutions - like eating better, quitting smoking - success will depend on changing our habits, which many researchers say takes at least 21 days. How can you chart your progress for each of these first 21 days which often are the most challenging before a new habit is formed?

6. What support do I need in the short term to keep my resolutions alive? What support do I need in the long term?

7. How will I reward myself (regularly) for making progress towards my resolutions?
Remember, reward does not always mean spending money. What can you do to reward yourself -- take a longer bath, read a book that's been sitting there for a while, going for a walk.

For additional insights, tips and tools as you move forward with your resolutions, check out my blog postings from last year on the 30 Day Challenge I did last April. The 30 Day Challenge was a structure to focus on one important goal achievement. I hope that you find some of last year's posts useful as you look to keeping your New Year's Resolutions alive!

Cheers to the start of a new year and Make 2008 Great!

Warm wishes,

Jennifer
Jennifer Britton

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home