Your Balanced Life!

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Work-Life Balance Tip - Things to Be Happy About

Work-Life Balance Tip - Things to Be Happy About

As a young adult at university, I spent my summers working as a camp counsellor in Algonquin Park, relishing in the beauty of living and working in nature. We didn't have TV or computers those days in our cabins, so when night fell, and our campers went off to sleep, we usually had very creative projects on the go.

For a couple of summers the book, "Things to Be Happy About", was front and centre, and most of us created our own happy books. I actually dug out my own Things to Be Happy About book the other day, and reading through what made me happy as a 20 year old still brought a smile, and a quickening heart. The original book "14,000 Things to Be Happy About" was written by Barbara Ann Kipfer (thanks Barbara for your book -- I know that it has inspired many of us". She now has a website: www.thingstobehappyabout.com and has a daily happy throught.

Many months ago I blogged on the topic of gratitude. For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, the winter blahs are still around. The last few weeks have brought incredible storms to the eastern seaboard, and sunshine has been at a premium. I figure this is an opportune time to build again on the topic of gratitude this time through Things to Be Happy About.

Here's a short list of 20 things that bring a smile to my face, and a glow to my heart:

1. Slow Sunsets
2. Slipping into my Crocs
3. Early morning solitude -- the house asleep and quiet time for me and my work
4. Fireside conversations
5. Meetings with old friends and being able to start off where you left off, even if several months have passed
6. Afternoon Naps
7. Reading a good book in bed
8. Dinner by candlelight
9. Sharing a smile with a complete stranger
10. Carpe Diem
11. The silence after a snow fall
12. White sand meeting the crystal blue waters of the ocean
13. Waking up on a cold morning, snug under your duvet
14. Taking a once in a lifetime chance
15. Watching toddlers explore new places
16. A child's first words
17. Laughing out loud in card stores
18. The sound of a forest or waves lapping on the shore
19. Believing In Yourself
20. Watching the Stars

What makes you happy? I hope that you will join me in either starting or continuing your own Things to Be Happy About journal. An alternative exercise is to start the day thinking about something that really makes you smile, and getting out of bed with that foot first on the floor.

I'd love to hear which of these ideas above resonate with you -- please feel free to comment below.

With best wishes,
Jennifer

Jennifer Britton, CPCC, CHRP, CPT
Potentials Realized
Email: jennifer[at]potentialsrealized[dot]com
Toll Free: 1-866-217-1960

The 90 Day Your Balanced Life Program starts Tuesday March 20th at 7 pm (EST). Will you join me and seven others as we design and create more balanced living for ourselves? We'll be meeting every other week from March through to early June as a group, and once a month one-on-one. Space still remains. I'd love to have you join us!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home